1. Add water up to the ¼ inch fill line and submerge your yCubes.
- Put your yCubes in a Gardyn Nursery or a shallow tray and fill with tap water. Submerge them in ¼ inch of water. Refer to the photos below to help you find the perfect level. Be sure not to add too much water, as it can negatively impact germination.
- Note that if you move your yCubes from your Gardyn to the Nursery or a tray: You do not need to add more tap water to your already-wet yCubes. Wet yCubes may look slightly darker in color than the ones pictured below.
2. Cover with a vented lid:
- If using the Gardyn Nursery, use the lid that comes with it to optimize temperature and humidity.
- If using a tray, choose a lid that has holes or a vent to mimic the Nursery's ideal conditions for germination.
3. Keep the yCubes Moist
- Make sure the yCubes are hydrated at all times, but not oversaturated.
- Do not exceed the maximum water level depicted. Check the tray daily for water content.
- DO NOT add water to the tray if water is still present, even if the water level has dropped below ¼ inch. This can cause yCubes to become oversaturated. yCubes will naturally absorb water as they need to maintain an optimal moisture level. If there is still water present in the tray, it indicates the yCubes are moist enough inside and are not absorbing more water.
- You’ll know it’s time to add more water to the tray when you notice the tray is empty or there’s just a residual film of water left. This indicates that the yCubes have absorbed all of the water and could require more.
- If your yCube appears similar to this image below, it has too much water. No need to worry, though! Simply place it in a tray on its own with no water- by the time it needs more water, it should be sprouted and ready to place on your Gardyn.
4. Monitor your yCubes
- Check your yCubes daily for sprouts and moisture levels.
5. Clean Your yPods and Top Off Your Tank
- Before inserting the newly sprouted yCubes into your Gardyn, remove the yPods from the column. Discard expired yCubes and clean the yPod. You can rinse the yPod by hand or wash it in the dishwasher.
- Make sure you top off your tank with fresh water and 1/2 teaspoon of plant food per 1 gallon of water added.
6. Insert yCubes into the Column
Insert the sprouted yCube into the yPod as shown and place the yPod with the germinated yCube back on the column.
7. Keep Growing!
In the Gardyn, continue to add 1 teaspoon of Plant Food for every 2 gallons of water.