Planning on going away for 5+ days, but not quite sure what to do about your plants? Never fear! Put your plants on pause - and your plans on go! - with Gardyn's Vacation Mode, a membership perk.
What is Vacation Mode?
Vacation Mode is a special growth mode for your Gardyn which you can only activate through the app as a member.
Vacation Mode preserves your plants while you're away for up to 2 weeks.* It works by carefully reducing your plants' light and water consumption, thereby saving you power and slowing your plants' growth. As a result, you won’t miss your window to harvest, or come back to an overgrown jungle!
If you plan to be away longer than 2 weeks, we recommend asking someone to help visit your Gardyn to add more water and plant food in your absence.
*Please note, your Gardyn's unique growing environment, including the number, size, and type of plants you are growing, can affect your Gardyn's results on Vacation Mode. The more and larger plants you have, and the more fruiting plants you have, the sooner you will need to refill your Gardyn with water and plant food. Vacation Mode is not intended for plants younger than 30 days.
Prepare Your Gardyn for Vacation Mode
Just like your own to-do list before you travel, your Gardyn needs to prep for Vacation Mode, too!
Before you turn Vacation Mode on, it's critical to complete the following steps to ensure your Gardyn is clean, healthy, and ready for you upon your return.
- Refresh the tank:
- Clean the tank
- Add 5 gallons of water with 1/2 tsp of plant food dissolved per gallon to your tank
- Harvest as much as you can off all of your ready-to-eat plants. Harvest any Microgreens in your Nursery or Baby Greens on your Gardyn completely. Discard any yCubes and compost any seed pads you harvest completely.
- Consider retiring older plants
- Trim any unhealthy leaves and prune all plants' roots
- Close any empty spots with Pod Caps
- Toggle Vacation Mode “ON” and let Kelby do the rest!
How to Turn Vacation Mode On/Off
1. Tap the three-line menu in the top-left of your app's home screen, then go to Device Controls.
2. Toggle Vacation Mode ON (green).
3. Enjoy your time away! Your plants will be waiting for you when you return.
4. When you come home, turn Vacation Mode off by toggling Vacation Mode OFF (white/grey). Your previous schedules will automatically be restored.
The longer you're away, the more you may notice your plants appear lighter in color when you get back, but don't worry! This is normal, and your plants are still healthy. You'll be amazed at how quickly your plants bounce back to their normal hues after a few days back on their regular schedules.
Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat with us. We're here to help!