Do you have a white growth on your yCube? Does it look similar to the image below?
What is it?
The white substance that you see on your rockwool is a type of mold. It is not harmful when on the rock wool, but you will want to treat it to prevent it spreading to the leaves or other plants.
Mold can be caused by various environmental factors - spores are present in air and water, and can form the white growth when the right combined conditions are present.
Most importantly, steps for remediation
To treat, you can either
Use a commercial fungicide spray,
For example the SNS 244 Spray, which can be purchased here.
- Consider getting the pre-mixed solution. Test on a small area of one or two plants before applying to everything. It takes all the guess work out of mixing
- With the lights off, remove the yCubes and Spray only the rockwool, paying close attention to not oversaturate the yCube. The goal is to only treat the growth present on the rockwool
- Repeat as often as instructed on the label
Use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)
- Add 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to a small spray bottle
- Apply liberally to mold affected areas of plant
- Do not soak yCubes
- Repeat as needed
Learn more here about the benefits of H2O2.
Preventing the growth
Increase air movement around your Gardyn
- Ventilation helps prevent air stagnation and mold development
- You can increase air circulation with the help of a fan
- Keep in mind however that direct wind can be harmful
Try to not over handle your plants
- To encourage healthy growth it is best to touch your plants minimally
- Molds, pests, and pathogens can travel from you to your plants
NOTE: If you follow these steps and still continue to experience this, you may want to consider sterilization of your Gardyn. This article will give you all the steps you need to follow for sterilization.