Whether you're a first-time Gardyner, or a returning one starting fresh with all new yCubes, we've designed these tips to help you successfully sprout new yCubes on your Gardyn. Watch the video below to learn more!
1. Get your Gardyn Ready for yCubes
- Make sure your Gardyn is fully and correctly assembled.
- Fill your water tank with fresh water only, and no plant food. If you're returning to your Gardyn after a break, be sure to wash the tank using a gentle sponge, water, and baking soda.
- Plug your Gardyn in and turn it ON using the power switch on the back of the lid. It can take several minutes for your device to respond, so don't worry if you don't see an immediate change.
- Connect your Gardyn to your wifi.
- Test your water system by tapping the Water tile in your Gardyn app. When it says "ON" that means your Gardyn is running a watering cycle. If it's working properly, you should see and hear water flowing through the columns and into every yPod. Tap the tile again to end your test.
2. Place your yCubes on your Gardyn
- Follow our yCubes Placement Guide to find the ideal spot on your Gardyn for each of your plants. It's intentional that not all spots are made equal when it comes to light and temperature!
- When inserting the yCubes into yPods, orientation doesn't matter, but be sure to push them into the yPod fully.
- Try to avoid touching the rockwool as compressing it in any way will make it harder for the delicate sprouts to push through the surface. At first, the dry rockwool appears light green. When a scheduled watering occurs, you should notice a change in the rockwool's color from light green to a mottled look with dark green spots as it absorbs water.
3. Follow These Key Germination Tips:
Now that everything is ready for your seeds to germinate, here are 4 important things you should know for optimizing your germination success.
1. Don't add plant food to your water tank until true leaves emerge.
Seeds contain all the nutrients they need to sprout their first few leaves. Adding plant food too early will overwhelm the seeds and prevent them from germinating. Kelby will help guide you around day 10 to determine whether it's time to add plant food based on the growth of your plants.
2. Remove the small cardboard cover on individual yCubes, & don’t use yCovers while sprouts are germinating.
Both will lock in moisture and inhibit germination. Remove the cardboard when you're ready to start germinating.
It's important to wait until after you see true leaves and have thinned your sprouts before adding a yCover.
3. Keep the pre-set watering schedule and ensure 14-16 hours of light on boost mode daily
The rockwool in the yCubes is very absorbent and doesn't require as much water as soil to germinate seeds. Keep your watering schedule on the pre-set mode to ensure your seeds get just enough water.
You can adjust the light schedule in the app to match your household rhythms, but we recommend maintaining 14-16 hours of light on boost mode daily. A smiley face in the Light Schedule on your app will let you know if your plants are getting enough light.
4. Periodically check the temperature and humidity level of the room where you use your Gardyn
The ideal germination environment is in the 70s°F, with humidity around 65-75%.
4. Monitor Daily for Sprouts & True Leaves
Sprouts is a general term for the first leaves, or cotyledons, that grow from the seed. These leaves are the reason sprouts don't need plant food: the cotyledons provide all the nutrients a plant needs in this first growth stage.
Germination times vary across varieties and even between seeds of the same plant. Some varieties can take up to 28 days to germinate! For variety-specific information, you can look up each of your plants in the Plant Book.
True leaves are the second leaf set that grows, and they resemble the mature plant's shape on smaller scale.
5. Separate yCubes Based on True Leaf Development
Move any yCubes that haven't sprouted yet, or that only have their cotyledons, off your Gardyn and into a Gardyn Nursery to continue germinating. If you don't have a Nursery, you can substitute a tray with a vented lid.
6. Once only yCubes with true leaves remain on your Gardyn, continue your plants' journey:
- Thin your plants to reduce competition for resources within each yCube, leading to healthier plants and bigger harvests.
- Add plant food to your Gardyn by either topping off or refreshing your water tank.
- Add yCovers to prevent algae and help maintain a healthy environment for your plants.
- Members can follow Kelby's guidance every step of the way.
It's crucial to give your plants the best start in life, and that always means germinating them without plant food. Patience is key when watching for sprouts and true leaves, but before you know it, you'll have full, healthy plants you can snack on daily!
Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat with us! We're here to help.