The Gardyn Nursery makes it easy to grow all of our Microgreen varieties, as well as new yCubes when you already have mature plants growing on your Gardyn. The Nursery can also help you revive yCubes that came into contact with plant food prematurely. Since plant food can hinder germination, it’s key not to mix mature plants and new yCubes on your Gardyn at the same time.
We recommend dedicating a Nursery just to Microgreens to ensure a spotless growing environment, and germinating your yCubes in a separate Nursery.
Using the Nursery to germinate yCubes is simple and easy:
(Click here to learn more about how to set up your Microgreens Kit instead!)
1. Place the tray into the Nursery's base.
2. Pour tap water into the tray until the water level reaches the fill line (visible in each tray square). While it might be tempting to add more water, too much will hurt, not help your seeds, so stick to the fill line for best results.
3. Using the Nursery's tray, insert up to 10 yCubes. Remove the small cardboard cover on individual yCubes, and don't add any yCovers or Pod Caps.
4. Place the lid on top to optimize temperature and humidity.
5. Voila! Your yCubes should show sprouts within 28 days, depending on the plant. If you're growing Microgreens in your Nursery, remember to check on them daily for signs of their development - learn more here!
How often should you add water?
Be careful not to overfill your Nursery, as too much water can oversaturate your yCubes and hamper germination. NEVER add plant food to your Nursery.
- Only add more water once it is completely gone from the tray/your yCubes appear dry, similar to the Nursery on the right of the image below:
From left to right, yCubes that are oversaturated, correctly saturated, and undersaturated.
- If you're adding dry yCubes to your Nursery:
and you already have water in your Nursery, do not add more water.
- and the yCubes already in your Nursery appear dry, add tap water until it reaches the fill line inside the Nursery tray.
- If you're adding wet yCubes to your Nursery:
- and they already came into contact with plant food, rinse them from the side before adding them in. Do not add more water to the Nursery.
- and they have not come into contact with plant food yet, simply place them in your Nursery without adding more water.
- If you are growing Microgreens in your Nursery:
- check on the water level every few days to ensure the wicks can always reach the water. Note that we do not recommend germinating Microgreens and yCubes in the same Nursery.
Where should I place the Nursery?
Some seeds need a little extra warmth and humidity to sprout, so it’s best to place your Nursery on your Gardyn's lid to let your yCubes benefit from the lights' ambient heat. This is where the Nursery design shines: it fits conveniently on your Gardyn's lid without blocking any of your Gardyn's plants.
Microgreens in your Nursery will also thrive on your Gardyn's lid, but if you don't have a Gardyn, place the Nursery by a warm window with direct sunlight.
How do I clean the Nursery?
It’s best to wash your Nursery by hand at least once per month with continual use, or between uses each time you empty it. You may need a soft sponge or bottlebrush to reach inside each tray square.
Please note, the Gardyn Nursery is NOT dishwasher safe.
In addition to and after hand washing, you may also soak each piece of the Nursery in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to easily remove any biofilm or stains while simultaneously sterilizing the unit.
Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat with us. We're here to help!