The Gardyn Nursery makes it easy to sprout new seeds for the Gardyn Home system. Since plant food can harm germination, it’s best to use the Nursery instead of trying to sprout new yCubes directly on a mature Gardyn Home.
The Nursery is comprised of 3 pieces:
Using the Nursery is simple and easy:
1. Place the insert into the tray
2. Pour tap water into the cells, until the water level reaches the fill line.
3. Insert your new yCubes
4. Place the dome on top
5. Voila! Your new sprouts should emerge in 1-2 weeks, depending on the species. Most seeds germinate in about 1 week.
How often should you add water?
- There’s no need to top off the Nursery unless you add more yCubes.
- If you want to add more yCubes to the Nursery while the ones already inside are still germinating, just top off the water to the fill line and place your new yCubes in the empty slots.
Be careful not to overfill- too much water can oversaturate the yCubes and hamper germination.
Where should you place the Nursery?
Some seeds need light to sprout, so it’s best to place your Nursery on your Gardyn lid. This is where the Nursery design shines: it fits conveniently on your Gardyn Home without blocking any of your plants.
How do you clean the Nursery?
It’s a good idea to clean your Nursery at least once per month.
Please clean the Nursery by hand.
- Soaking the Nursery in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water easily removes any biofilm or stains, and simultaneously sterilizes the unit.
- Scrubbing the Nursery in the sink with a bottle brush is also an easy way to clean the small insert cells.
- Once scrubbed clean, be sure to sterilize your Nursery with a mix of white vinegar and water, or with 3% H2O2.
The Gardyn Nursery is NOT dishwasher safe.