The Gardyn Nursery makes it easy to grow all of our Microgreen varieties, as well as new yCubes when you already have mature plants growing on your Gardyn. We recommend dedicating a Nursery just to Microgreens to ensure a spotless growing environment, and germinating your yCubes in a separate Nursery.
Since plant food can hinder germination and harm young sprouts, it’s key not to mix mature plants and new yCubes on your Gardyn at the same time.
Using the Nursery to germinate yCubes is simple and easy:
1. Place the tray into the Nursery's base.
2. Pour tap water into the tray until the water level reaches the fill line (visible in each tray square).
3. Insert your new yCubes.
4. Place the lid on top to optimize temperature and humidity.
5. Voila! Your yCubes should show sprouts within 28 days, depending on the plant. If you're growing Microgreens in your Nursery, remember to check on them daily for signs of their development - learn more here!
How often should you add water?
- Only add more water once it is completely gone from the tray.
- If you are moving wet yCubes from your Gardyn to your Nursery, simply place them in your Nursery without adding more water.
- If you are adding dry yCubes to your Nursery while the ones already inside are still germinating, add water to the fill line and place your new yCubes in the empty slots.
- If you are growing Microgreens in your Nursery, check on the water level every few days to ensure the wicks can always reach the water.
- Be careful not to overfill your Nursery, as too much water can oversaturate your yCubes and hamper germination.
Where should I place the Nursery?
Some seeds need a little extra warmth and humidity to sprout, so it’s best to place your Nursery on your Gardyn's lid to let your yCubes benefit from the lights' ambient heat. This is where the Nursery design shines: it fits conveniently on your Gardyn's lid without blocking any of your Gardyn's plants.
Microgreens in your Nursery will also thrive on your Gardyn's lid, but if you don't have a Gardyn, place the Nursery by a warm window with direct sunlight.
How do I clean the Nursery?
It’s best to wash your Nursery by hand at least once per month with continual use, or between uses each time you empty it. You may need a soft sponge or bottlebrush to reach inside each tray square.
Please note, the Gardyn Nursery is NOT dishwasher safe.
In addition to and after hand washing, you may also soak each piece of the Nursery in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to easily remove any biofilm or stains while simultaneously sterilizing the unit.
Questions? Reach us at email@example.com, or chat with us. We're here to help!