Latin name: Origanum syriacum
🌱 Days to Sprout: 7-14
✂️ Thin to: 3 plants per yCube
🍅 Days to Maturity: 21-28
💡 Light Zone: Minimum
📏 Plant Size: 2 ft
💚 Care Level: Beginner
Zaatar is native to the Middle East and often called Syrian Oregano, as its Latin name indicates. Zaatar is not to be confused with “Za’atar”, which is instead an herbal blend. Some believe Zaatar is the hyssop referred to in the Old Testament of the Bible, and thus is also often referred to as Bible hyssop.
Zaatar looks similar to oregano with small, fuzzy, green leaves. It’s commonly touted to be a strong neuroprotectant, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic.
Use dried or fresh Zaatar leaves as you would oregano. Its flavor is complex and a combination of marjoram, oregano, and thyme. Add to sauces or dressings for flavor complexity, soups or stocks to increase savoriness, or as a garnish for an herbal zing.
Care & Harvest
💡Temperature: Prefers cooler temperatures (60-70°F).
🌿 Harvest: Harvesting frequently helps prolong the plant's life. Pinch off individual leaves, or use clean shears to cut stems above growth nodes. Only harvest up to 1/3 of the plant's height at a time to ensure it continues growing.
Harvest to Plate Recipe
Salatet Zaatar Akhdar (Lebanese Wild Oregano Salad)
Photo/recipe: Hadia's Lebanese Cuisine
- 4 bunches of Zaatar (~14 oz. weighed with their stems, equivalent to 4 cups de-stemmed)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons sumac
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- De-stem the Zaatar leaves, then wash repeatedly while grabbing the leaves between your palms and squeezing a bit to rid the leaves of excess liquid. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, sumac, lemon juice and olive oil to the bowl.
- Adjust salt to taste preference.
- Serve with pita bread or with whatever your heart desires!
Our Plant Health & Nutrition Team thoroughly tests each variety we offer to bring you the most flavorful and high-quality plants. We regularly rotate our plant portfolio, so please note, availability varies.