Latin name: Lactuca sativa var. “Red Salad Bowl”
🌱 Days to Sprout: 7-10
✂️ Thin to: 1 plant per yCube
🍅 Days to Maturity: 40-50
💡 Light Zone: Moderate
📏 Plant Size: <1 ft
💚 Care Level: Beginner
Lettuce is thought to have originated in the Middle East, with the earliest depictions of it appearing in Egypt around 2700 BC. Ancient Egyptians bred lettuce plants to be less bitter than their wild counterparts, and used oil from wild lettuces for a variety of applications, including mummification.
Red Salad Bowl lettuce leaves have a shape similar to oak leaves with reddish hues. The color is derived from colored pigments called anthocyanins - the same family of healthy antioxidants that make strawberries red and blueberries blue! In addition to these healthy and colorful pigments, Red Salad Bowl lettuce is especially rich in vitamins K and A.
Add Red Salad Bowl to your rotation of base salad greens for a fun and healthy dash of color.
Care & Harvest
💡Temperature: Prefers cooler temperatures (60-70°F), and if placed in higher temperatures, it will turn bitter and bolt.
🥬 Harvest: For ongoing harvest, snip the outer leaves just above the base of the plant once they reach 2-3 inches tall to let the inner leaves continue to grow. Leave 1/3 of the plant if you want it to keep growing. To harvest the full head, wait until it reaches maturity, then harvest from the base.
Harvest To Plate Recipe
Red Leaf Lettuce Salad with Tahini Dressing
Photo / Recipe Source: Yummly
- 4 tablespoons Tahini (ground sesame)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 clove garlic (mashed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water (at room temperature)
- 1 head, or around 16 oz, red leaf lettuce of choice
- Combine tahini, mustard, garlic, and salt in a bowl. Add water and mix slowly until the ingredients are completely combined.
- Wash and dry lettuce; rip into 1½-inch by 2½-inch pieces.
- Place lettuce into a serving bowl and toss lightly with dressing. Serve immediately.
Our Plant Health & Nutrition Team thoroughly tests each variety we offer to bring you the most flavorful and high-quality plants. We regularly rotate our plant portfolio, so please note, availability varies.