Latin name: Ocimum basilicum var. thyrsiflora
🌱 Days to Sprout: 5-10
✂️ Thin to: 1 plant per yCube
🍅 Days to Maturity: 64
💡 Light Zone: Moderate
📏 Plant Size: <1 ft
💚 Care Level: Beginner
Sweet Thai Basil has been cultivated for over 5,000 years and is native to Southeast Asia. It is ubiquitous in Vietnamese and Thai dishes, and sometimes called Anise Basil or Licorice Basil due to its intense flavor.
Sweet Thai Basil contains the vitamins K, A, C, and the minerals magnesium, calcium, iron, and potassium. Terpenes (including bergamotene, farnesene, and caryophyllene) construct the signature spicy Thai Basil fragrance and flavor. Methyl-eugenol, a potent anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic, lends notes of clove.
Add fresh leaves to pho, noodles, and rice dishes for an incredible burst of flavor. You can also substitute Sweet Thai Basil for Italian Basil to add a subtle, peppery licorice flavor. The flowers are edible too and serve as a beautiful garnish.
Care & Harvest
💡Temperature: Prefers warmer temperatures (70-85°F).
✂️ Pruning: Remove leaves with brown spots if they appear. Check the roots monthly and trim any that are brown or extending past the yPod. For bushier growth, regularly harvest at the stem above the growth nodes (see Harvest below), and pinch off flower buds as they appear.
🌿 Harvest: Harvesting frequently helps prolong the plant's life. Pinch off individual leaves and flower buds, or use clean shears to cut stems above growth nodes. Find growth nodes just above the two largest leaves on a stem. You should see another, small set of leaves or knobs (nodes) growing between the stem and larger set of leaves. Cut the stem 1/4-1/2″ above the nodes and watch the small leaves grow large! Leave 4-6 inches for the plant to continue growing.
Harvest To Plate Recipe
Sweet Thai Basil Eggplant
Photo / Recipe Source: Vegetarian Gastronomy
- 1 large eggplant, or several Thai, Mini or Fairytale Eggplant
- 3 bell peppers (mixed colors), thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 14 oz firm tofu block
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp cooking oil, such as coconut, grapeseed, or avocado
- Sweet Thai Basil leaves (to flavor)
For the sauce:
- 4.5 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp chili sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Kosher salt
- ¾ cup olive oil
Prepare the Eggplant:
- Cut off the top and bottom tips, and slice the eggplant lengthwise into 3/4-inch thick slivers.
- In a large non-stick pan or stainless steel pan, heat 2-3 Tbsp of cooking oil on medium heat.
- Add the eggplant pieces and toss to coat them in oil. Add a little water, reduce heat to low-medium, cover, and stir regularly to cook.
- The eggplant is done once it is tender, but still firm so it holds its shape. Turn off the heat and set aside in the pan.
To Prepare the Tofu & Veggies:
- Cut the tofu block in half. Place each half in a clean paper towel one at a time and squeeze gently to remove excess liquid.
- Cut the tofu halves into 1/2-inch cubes and pan fry on medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp cooking oil (in a separate non-stick frying pan).
- Turn the tofu frequently until all the water is evaporated and the tofu is lightly golden brown on most sides, then combine with eggplant.
- In the non-stick frying pan used for the tofu, add 1 tbsp cooking oil and heat on medium-high. Add the thinly sliced onions and bell peppers. Sautée until they are cooked but still crispy. Add the minced garlic halfway through. When done cooking, add it to the eggplant and tofu.
To Prepare the Dish:
- Whisk all sauce ingredients together until all the cornstarch has dissolved. Add more chili sauce if you prefer additional spice.
- Heat the pan containing the eggplant, tofu, and veggies once more.
- Once the pan is hot, add the sauce, turn down the heat to low-medium, and mix frequently until the sauce slightly thickens and coats the eggplant and veggies. This should only take a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add some freshly chopped Sweet Thai Basil. Mix once more and serve hot with some cooked quinoa or rice!
Our Plant Health & Nutrition Team thoroughly tests each variety we offer to bring you the most flavorful and high-quality plants. We regularly rotate our plant portfolio, so please note, availability varies.