This guide applies when you are adding plant food to your water tank for the first time after germinating new yCubes directly on your Gardyn because you either:
- Germinated your Welcome Kit of yCubes on your Gardyn, or
- Started fresh with a new generation of plants on your Gardyn.
Follow these steps to ensure only the yCubes ready for plant food receive it, while those that aren’t ready don’t get harmed. When in doubt, wait a few more days to reevaluate your plants!
Step 1: Evaluate all of your yCubes for true leaf development.
Count - how many yCubes have true leaves fully visible?
If you answer, "About 1/3 or fewer."
- Leave all of your yCubes on your Gardyn to continue germinating.
- Don't add any plant food yet!
- Check back daily to reassess your plants' growth until your count of yCubes with true leaves reaches the next threshold.
If you answer, "About 2/3 of them."
- Keep all yCubes with true leaves on your Gardyn.
- Remove the remaining yCubes from your Gardyn and place in a Nursery or tray.
- If the removed yCubes are still wet, don’t add any water to the Nursery/tray.
- Place the Nursery/tray on your Gardyn tank to let the yCubes continue germinating while basking in the ambient heat generated by the lights.
- Cap off all of the now-empty yPods on your Gardyn with Pod Caps.
- Continue to Step 2: Adding Plant Food.
If you answer, "All of them!"
Congrats! This means you can continue to Step 2: Adding Plant Food.
Step 2: Adding Plant Food
- Place 1 teaspoon of plant food in a 1-gallon container, fill with tap water, and shake to mix.
- Pour your plant food-water solution into your tank through the opening in the lid.
- Repeat with 1 more teaspoon of plant food dissolved in 1 more gallon of water.
Your tank is now ready to hydrate and feed your young plants with the nutrients they need to thrive!
Please note that the plant food-to-water ratio you use for this first time (1 teaspoon:1 gallon) is different from the ratio you'll need to top off your tank afterward. When topping off, always dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of plant food in 1 gallon of water at a time. The first time is different because you already have about 3 gallons of just water in your tank from germinating.
- Adding a little warm (not hot!) water can help dissolve the plant food faster.
- We suggest reusing common 1-gallon containers, such as water jugs, milk cartons, or other similar containers. Just make sure the container is clean before using it for the first time!
Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat with us. We're here to help!